“Metamorphosis TLC: Transforming the Teaching Profession”
How can we as 21st century educators create rich learning environments where adults and students thrive intellectually, socially and emotionally?
Metamorphosis Teaching Learning Communities is dedicated to assisting schools/districts to become vibrant learning organizations that respond flexibly and thoughtfully to ever-changing demands. By keeping a laser-like focus on refining instruction, we identify with our partners the essential levers for improving student learning.
Metamorphosis offers a wide range of powerful professional learning opportunities for educators at all levels of the system. Our work is informed by current research in many fields and is customized to meet the needs of each school or district we serve.
Teaching Learning Communities (TLC) TLCs bring teachers, coaches, and/or administrators together from across schools to hone in on the instructional core (planning, co-teaching, reflecting on lessons). These high-leverage communities work to develop participants’ capacity to:
• Plan rich lessons focused on big ideas and critical instructional practices (CCSS);
• Engage in evidence-based post-lesson discussions designed to challenge assumptions;
• Construct and articulate a shared understanding of effective instruction;
• Assess student learning in real time and use this knowledge to address each learner’s needs;
• Take a leadership role among their colleagues.
Advanced TLC(Coaching Collaboratives) What differentiates these sessions from the TLC is that they are focused on developing the content-coaches’ toolkit. Coaches will learn how to:
• Plan, co-teach and debrief rich lessons with designated teachers;
• Set mutual goals and action plans with teachers and administrators;
• Identify benchmarks of progress and next steps for teacher learning;
• Examine how teacher practice influences student learning;
• Facilitate focused grade-level meetings designed to improve teacher practice;
• Develop the capacity to diagnose student learning and assist teachers in addressing student needs;
• Assess and upgrade their own coaching practice.
On-Site Content and Instructional Coaching Using the acclaimed Content-Focused Coaching model, Metamorphosis consultants work with schools on a per diem basis. The schedule of the day might involve any of the following options that are customized to meet the needs of individual schools:
• Planning and implementing lessons that focus on developing reasoning and discourse in the content area;
• Analyzing curriculum materials and resources to meet the CCSS;
• Identifying, analyzing and implementing performance/assessment tasks and using the data to inform instruction;
Content and Pedagogical Institutes These single or multi-day institutes are offered periodically or by request from districts or schools. These institutes focus on some or all of the following:
• Develop and deepen both content and pedagogical knowledge;
• Cultivate teachers’ capacity to focus lessons on “big ideas” and “underlying structures” of mathematics as required by the CCSS;
• Refine teachers’ abilities to develop computational fluency in their students as required by the CCSS;
• Understand the role of mathematical models in developing student thinking and writing.
Topics for previous workshops have included:
• Pathways to Numeracy: Teaching to the Big Ideas;
• Computational Fluency: Developing Mental Math Strategies;
• Powerful Routines to Develop Number Sense;
• Big Ideas, Strategies and Models: Fractions, Decimals and Percents;
• Developing Geometric Reasoning;
• Basics for MS and HS Students Who Are Struggling.
Hereʼs what theyʼre saying about Master Coaching Institute: It was a golden experience! Loved it! Learned so much! I have a new perspective on what coaching is – a culture rather than a person. I am more confident in my abilities and feel “fired up”. So many takeaways! The change game was FABULOUS! The role-playing was extremely powerful. World café was awesome. Loved the conference and I am excited to implement a lot of new ideas. Thank you! Thank you! So many of my colleagues would benefit from this institute. I am hoping that this will be an annual event.
When was the last time you experienced such an inspiring institute?
Lucy West: Questioning to Understand
The video clip above is an excerpt from the Leaders In Educational Thought. Lucy West.
Join our Newsletter List
Content-Focused Coaching Book & CD Set
Westand Staub have raised the bar when it comes to knowing what high-quality staff development looks, feels, and sounds like. Shellyey Harwayne, Superintendent of New York City's Community School District 2. > Order Today